What is a childminder?
Childminders are self-employed and care for children usually in their own home. They can often provide flexible care to suit your needs and may be able to provide more individualised care for your children. Childminders can care for children from age six weeks to 16 years but must register with Ofsted.
First things to consider:
- Do you live in the East Riding of Yorkshire?
- Do you own your own home?
- If yes, have you checked your deeds to ensure you can work from your home as some developers prohibit this
- If you live in a rented property, have you checked with your landlord and gained written consent to work from their property?
- Can you offer a safe stimulating environment that will promote the good health, education and development of children?
- Can you manage a wide range of children's behaviours?
- Can you manage your own time efficiently?
- Are you aware that everyone over the age of sixteen who live at the property will need an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check(that states Home Childcarer/Childminder)?
- There will be some costs involved with becoming an Ofsted registered childminder - please see table below:-
|Car Insurance Business Class 1||Check with insurance company (Annual cost)|
|Childminding Course||Up to £350.00|
|DBS Update Service ||£13.00 per DBS check for each person aged 16 years and over(Not mandatory but good practice)|
|Enhanced Disclosure Barring Check (DBS)||£50.00 per person aged 16 years and over|
|Employer Liability (Assistant)||Check with insurance company (Annual Cost)|
|Equipment||Various costs (Start-up costs and ongoing)|
|House Insurance||Check with insurance company (Annual Cost)|
|House/Garden Alterations||Various costs (Start-up costs and ongoing)|
|Information Commissioners Office (ICO - Data Protection) || £40.00 annually|
|Motion Picture Licensing Company (DVD's) *if applicable*||Have to contact for price|
|Ofsted Health Declaration Form||£0.00- £150.00 approx.|
|Ofsted Registration Fee||£35.00 - £220.00 annually|
|Paediatric First Aid (12 Hour)|| £90.00 approx. (Every 3 years)|
|Paperwork||£50.00 - £100.00 (Start-up costs and ongoing) |
Performing Rights Society Ltd (PRS) Music License *if applicable*
|Planning Application *if applicable*||£385.00|
|Planning Query|| £60.00|
|Public Liability Insurance||From £30.00|
How do I become a registered childminder?
To support you in applying to become an Ofsted registered childminder the Local Authority can offer you the following:-
Become a Registered Childminder course: this will cover all aspects of childminding (delivered via Microsoft Teams)
Safeguarding training via the East Riding Safeguarding Partnership
A full comprehensive training programme
Other pre-registration courses for childminders are run by external organisations however the Local Authority cannot recommend or verify any quality of teaching materials within these.
To book on or to find out more about Becoming a Registered Childminder course, please follow the link below to the Families Information Service Hub (FISH) website. Once on this page please scroll down to the 'How do I become a registered childminder?' section, then click on the application form, fill in and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click HERE to go to the FISH website